Friday, May 3, 2013

Week 5 and I honestly cannot believe it!

Hi everyone!

Where do I even begin this week? Our P-day switched to Friday, so I have to fit an entire week and a half into this email instead of just one week! I don't know if I will be able to do it, but I'll do my best! First, THANK YOU to Dana, Mom, Bonnie Dimond, and the Dolbins for the packages this week! You are all the sweetest ever!!! My district loves me because of all these cute, delicious things I'm getting from you lovely people, so thank you so much! For real! I love you all so much!!!

Next thing, in FIVE DAYS I am getting reassigned. I am having a heart attack every single day, because I want to know so badly! I am so excited about it! A lot of people are thinking that it is a bummer to have to get reassigned, but our Branch President told us that the Lord needs us in two places on our mission. Now that is the coolest thing I've ever heard. So although I'm not going to get to Brazil quite yet, I will get there when the Lord needs me to get there! I'll get to call the fam next Wednesday or Thursday and tell you where I'm going! I'm so excited!

Okay, so let's start with this week. My entire mission changed this week. I am so much more focused on this work than I was before.This week, our district has really been making an effort to make this MTC experience worth our time, and you wouldn't believe the difference it has made. I have never studied as much as I am studying right now. Never. This week I finished the Book of Mormon this week (and it only took me three weeks to read it cover to cover!), I read the book Our Search For Happiness by M. Russell Ballard, I have started reading Preach My Gospel in Portuguese and I'm already halfway done with it, and I take flashcards and grammar books with me everywhere I go. Needless to say, it has been a lot of studying. But I have never been happier about anything. I truly want to be the best misisonary that I can be, because I owe that to the Lord. Since our district has been working harder, this experience has gotten so much better. It already was the most amazing thing ever, but now, it is the greatest thing I have ever done. Literally. I am so grateful to be here and to be serving the Lord, giving it my all.

One of our boys got his visa this last week! His name is Elder Barnhart, and he is the strangest, best kid you have ever met in your whole life. He was the one kid that we didn't want to get his visa, and of course he did. So we all bawled our eyes out when he got it. But he left on Tuesday, and now he's in Brazil! SO THERE IS HOPE.

This week, another sister in our branch and I collaborated our musical abilities and created this medley of I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go and Have I Done Any Good? She sang, I played the piano. It really is beautiful song. But anyway, we decided that we were going to audition so that we could perform it at an MTC event. And guess what? WE MADE IT. So on Wednesday, we performed in front of 600 new missionaries at Missionary Orientation. It was such an awesome performance. During the song, they film you and put you on the big screen so everyone can see you. I'm sitting there thinking they aren't going to show me very much because I was just the accompanist, but then, out of the corner of my eye, I just see my face HUGE on the big screen! FOR A REALLY LONG TIME. It did mess me up once, and I was so extremely nervous at that point, but I got over it. No worries. It really was awesome though to be able to play for the new missionaries! I loved it. I'm so grateful that I can play the piano, so thanks Mom (:

My Portuguese is getting so much better. In lessons, I know exactly how to say everything I need to, which is an amazing feeling. One thing that was really cool this week though during the lessons wasn't because of Portuguese. I have never considered myself much of a scriptorian, and I can never ever remember scriptures to share in lessons. But during our lessons this week, I was whipping out all sorts of scriptures that I just thought of because of the Spirit. It was the biggest miracle ever. I've never felt the Spirit so strongly in our lessons, and I am so grateful for that. It was such a blessing in my life. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that up and actually do that in the field! Pray for me!

I want you all to know that I have the greatest district in the entire world. I really do. I have never heard about people loving their MTC district, but mine is the greatest thing ever. We are all best friends. We really are. I have told the Sisters in my district things that I haven't told anyone else, ever. We know each other on such a spiritual level, which I've never really seen before. But I love them. I really do. I can't imagine the MTC without them. They have been my family here. There is so much love and support for each other, and it really is perfect. Since we like each other so much, we have the funnest times ever. Like gym time. Oh my word. I can't even tell you how fun it is. We play volleyball or kickball every single day. There are a few of us that are really athletic, and there are a few of us that are really... not. I am definitely in the not category. But I'm getting better. It is so fun to have that hour to play every day. One thing that was darling this week: We came in one morning for class, and the Elders had written all the Sisters notes about what they appreciate about us. It made me cry. They are so stinking sweet. I just feel so blessed to be with this group of missionaries. And today, we had a picnic outside. We just ate lunch, talked, ate so many treats, and just kind of hung out. I am so grateful for my district, and can't believe that I have to leave them in a week and a half!

Here's my funny thing this week. The Sisters in my district decided to wear stripes last week. ALL STRIPES. Striped skirts, striped shirts. We were extremely good-looking. Hahaha. No, not at all. But sometimes, missionaries do things like that, because we think we are funny, when truly we aren't. All the Sister missionaries around us were pretty much disgusted with our outfit choices, and the Elders had no idea. We all walked into class together, and it took the boys literally an hour to see that we were all wearing stripes. If they didn't notice that, I don't think I'm ever going to get ready again. It was really fun though, even though you probably all think that is the lamest thing ever.

Temple walk on Sunday, I saw EVERYONE. So I'll be sending a lot of pictures of people I know. I love knowing so many people here. I was blessed with some amazing friends that all have the willingness to serve the Lord. It truly is amazing.

Running out of time. But I am so grateful for my mission. I say this a lot, but I really am so grateful for it. I have learned and grown so much in the last month, and I can't even imagine myself in 17 months. I have been pushed in ways that I never thought I would be, but I am so grateful for it. Missionaries here are amazing. I look up to them so much. I have so much to learn. I have so much that I need to do. But this work is worth it. I can't imagine my life if I wasn't here right now. This is so much more than I could have ever thought it would be. This church is true. 100%. I don't have a doubt in my mind about it. It has brought me so much joy in my life, and there is nothing that I'd rather do, than share it with the world.

I love you all. I am grateful for your examples, and for your letters, and for your prayers, and for everything you do for me. Thank you thank you thank you. I'll see you in 17 months (THAT IS SO SOON!!!!!!!)

Love, Sister Card
xoxo

PS - I apologize for how scattered my emails are. I know they really are all over the place, and it is heart-wrenching for an English major to have to do that. But I have no time to revise. Just know I'm doing my best for you all! Loves!

Stripes! 

Happy missionary - Jazzy at her best!

Provo MTC spring picnic

Jazzy and best friend Shannon at the Provo Temple

Elder Barnham before he left the MTC to Brazil

Jazzy reunited with LP Knight Andrea Barney and Shannon Goettsche

Reunited with Rachael Pitts

Best District Ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment