Monday, September 16, 2013

Another incredible week. No surprise, eh?



Hey y'all!

I finally succumbed to y'all. I used to just put it in my emails as a joke, and now, it's part of my vocabulary. I find myself using it all the time. And I'm alright with it. What is happening to me? I find it odd saying "you guys" or "you all". Whatever. A mission changes you for the better, so I'm just going to assume that's included in there.  

This week was amazing. It has been such a crazy week though, my goodness. I've never slept so little on my mission. I swear we were just going, going, going all week. But that just means that it was an incredible week as a missionary, yeah?

So, let me tell you the highlight of my week. The temple. This has been the longest time that I haven't been to the temple. Three months has been killer. But it was perfect! It was exactly what I needed. And the new movie? Best thing ever. I cried the entire time. I feel so beyond blessed that I have the opportunity to go to the temple here, because when I get to Brazil, I won't be able to go! Heavenly Father sure blessed me by letting me stay here for a while to have the chance to go at least twice. I love the Birmingham temple. It's so teeny, but so beautiful. And doing a session with all the missionaries in my zone and President Hanks? That's one of the coolest things to ever do. I am so grateful to be a part of such an amazing group of missionaries.

We also had Zone Training this week. Sister Jensen and I were asked to train on companionship unity, which was perfect for us. We've been together for almost 1/3 of our mission, so we are definitely united. There are still a lot of times that we struggle, since I'm so stubborn all the time, but we are able to work it out and do what we need to do. We focused a lot on humility and working together and with the Lord. I love my companion so much. Sister Jensen has been such a huge blessing in my life and I have learned so much from her. This is going to be our last transfer together, according to President. So we're making the most of the time that we have left together. She's an awesome missionary. One thing we figured out this week is that she thrives on compliments and I thrive on criticism. I'm just a lot more negative I think, and I really don't like it when people compliment me. I feel awkward. So we're COMPROMISING. It's rough, but we are figuring it out haha. We're figuring out some balance here. Six months and we're still having to work it all out. Marriage is going to be a tough road, but I'm still pretty excited for it.   

I WORE PANTS ON SATURDAY. It was weird. And after 4 months of being in the South, they still fit the same, so that's a bonus. Sister Card - 1 Alabama food - 0. But we went up to Montgomery at 5 am to go help with a 5k. There were like 20 missionaries there helping out. We were handing out water, directing runners where to go, and helping with registration. Stake President's idea. We were all able to get out there and show that Mormons are normal people (despite what the world thinks haha) and that we love what we are doing. It really was such a great day. The best part was that they had a banana split bar at the end of the race. That's Alabama for you. Haha. Way too funny. So I had a banana split for breakfast on Saturday morning. And it was delicious.

So despite all the craziness of service, Zone Training, the temple trip, and exchanges, we were able to see and do some amazing things. We have an investigator, Mamie, who is on fire. Her son Voy was baptized last year, but her baptism date fell through around that time, and since then, they have been going to their other church. But we sat down and had a big talk with her a few days ago. We taught her the Restoration again, and just asked her, "Mamie, do you know that this is the only true church on the Earth?" The Spirit was so strong, and she immediately replied, "Yes." "Then what's holding you back?" She told us that it's hard because all her friends go to her other church, but that she was going to talk to her pastor and see what he said. We were extremely worried about that one, but we met with her yesterday, and you won't believe what he said to her. He told her that everything that we had taught her is true and that the Bible does speak of all of that. He told her that she needed to pray and figure out what she wants to do. Keep Mamie in your prayers, everyone. She is so close!!!

I am grateful for this time that I have to be a missionary. Things are moving so quickly. I can't believe how fast the Lord is hastening His work. We are seeing miracles. I am working so hard, making every minute a chance to serve the Lord. I love that I have this calling to be an awkward missionary and that it's okay that I can just start talking with anyone about Jesus. People love their Savior here so much. They just need to truly know Him a little more. I love this church. I love being a missionary. I love being in Alabama. I had a moment in church yesterday where I started to cry, thinking about the fact that I would have to leave this ward at some point. I love being here so much. I'm grateful for all of you, for your love and your prayers and your letters and everything. You are all so amazing and I am so blessed. Thank you thank you thank you.

I love you so much. I pray for y'all all the time. I am so grateful for this gospel and my calling as a missionary. Write me letters. I bought cute Halloween stickers, so if you write me, I'll send you one. Love y'all. Fique forte.

Sister Card
xoxo

PS - I taught in Spanish yesterday. Just so you know. Be proud.

And another PS - Elder Kopishke is coming tomorrow! He gave the talk "Being Accepted of the Lord" in the last conference, which is like the best talk of all conference. We are so pumped to see him tomorrow!!!



Brody. One of the kids in our ward. What a doll.



And that mohawk? He's obsessed with it and it's the best ever.


Cupcakes after the 5k (:

Kim's son, Lil Wille, getting ready for winter! 
If he's not the cutest thing in the world, I don't know what is.

Me, Sister Jensen, Sister Woomer and Sister Bush. 
We've got some good looking Sister Missionaries, yeah?

My companion... 

...is a babe.

Pants... SO WEIRD. I don't think I'll ever wear pants when I get home. Skirts and dresses forever. Yeah.

Me, Sister Jensen, Sister Woomer and Sister Bush. 
We've got some good looking Sister Missionaries, yeah?

Sister Bush is my favorite ever. We love our treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment